Years K - 6
Sally Oakley & Gill Brazendale, East Devonport Primary School, with help from
Lyndy Bowden, Christine Thorpe, Jane Cotton, Peta Cannamelo
The NRICH web site has a neat, software-based complement to this task which they call Poly Plug Rectangle. It offers several levels of challenge in the Teachers' Notes and video from classrooms.
- Two people sit back to back.
- Person A makes a pattern or shape in the red board with the yellow/blue plugs.
- Person A gives Person B instructions so the shape is reconstructed on Person B's board.
- Free exploration - children usually discover
- the need for a starting point to 'measure' from
- that the board should not be rotated during the game
- Using up, down, left, right
- Using north, south, east, west
- Using Cartesian co-ordinates (x, y)
- spatial awareness
- problem solving
|How come they didn't turn out the same?
Calculating Changes ... is a division of ... Mathematics Centre